Friday, November 30, 2007

10

Mairyn could not believe what she was hearing. She was grateful to Wulfgard for what he ahs done for her but she never even thought about marrying anyone let alone Wulfgard. She looked at Petre who had a stunned and stricken look on his face. How could Wulfgard do something like this in front of all of these people without discussing the idea with her first? And it was obvious by the look on Petre’s face that he had no idea this was coming either. And Petre was shocked, standing there with his mouth hanging open. She never would have thought Wulfgard would do something like this and she had no idea he thought of her in this way. Or was he after her dowry as Gideon had said and this was his way of insuring that it would all be his. Mairyn tried to pull her hand from Wulfgard’s but he held her hand tight.

Jondan stepped forward and banged his staff on the stage for order. He was always amazed at how peoples’ imaginations would take flight even when they knew the person all their lives.

“You all misunderstand my meaning,” said Wulfgard. “While I believe Mairyn to be a comely and worthy wench and I would be honored and feel privileged to marry someone like her, marriage is not my intention. You must allow me to finish before allowing your minds to run to wrong conclusions. I want it made clear that I do not intend to marry Mairyn, now or in the future. I considered Mairyn as a daughter when I made her my ward and I do not wish to change that feeling. As a matter of fact, my purpose and intention is to fully and completely adopt her as my daughter.” He could not go on. There was outrage from Madame Gertrude. She had stopped laughing so abruptly she nearly fell over. She screamed out her anger in unintelligible sounds at the top of her lungs. People turned towards her in astonishment and backed away from her fearing she would strike out at the people within arms reach. She shook her fists at the people on the dais then spun on her heels and stormed away. Now that Madame Gertrude was gone, people looked at Lauryn. She stood in the same spot as before, rooted to the spot like a gnarled and dead tree stump. She kept repeating the word “no” over and over so quietly that it was like the hiss of a snake. There were tears streaming down her face and she was pulling at her dress. She looked mad, insane, out of her mind with anger. All of a sudden, she moved forward and the people near her jumped out of her way. No one wanted to be touched by her. She walked towards the stage with all eyes on her. The whole while she muttered a hissing “no.” People parted before her and she shuffled up to the stage, stopping in front of Mairyn. Now she began shaking her head back and forth while muttering in the negative. Mairyn squatted down to speak with Lauryn.

“I did not know,” said Mairyn. “We will be together again soon when you marry Gideon. Can you not be happy for me?”

“You have stolen my place.” Lauryn shrieked and spittle flew from her mouth. She slapped Mairyn across the face and turned and ran. Mairyn knew now it was time to give up on her sister. It seemed that due to circumstances beyond Mairyn’s control, she had completely broken her relationship with her sister. She stood up straight and tall. Wulfgard had never let go of her hand. She looked at him and he smiled.

“We are going to find a way to stop people from hitting you,” he said.

Mairyn found this very funny. She laughed and Wulfgard laughed too. Mairyn turned around and looked at Petre. He was stunned again at Wulfgard’s latest pronouncement, but when Mairyn smiled and laughed at him he couldn’t help but laugh and smile back at her. He shook his head in bewilderment, shrugged and mouthed to Mairyn that he had no idea. And then he smiled his biggest smile and blew her a kiss. She laughed again and faced forward. Wulfgard watched this exchange with pleasure.

For the third time, Jondan stepped forward and banged his staff on the stage. “Let it be known to all her present as witnesses and to all peoples in the future and from all lands, that Mairyn has been legally and officially adopted by Wulfgard of Wulfhall with all of the rights and obligations attached to such an adoption. She will from this day forward be known as Mairyn the daughter of Wulfgard of Wulfhalle.”

There was a loud and uproarious cheer from the town’s people. Wulfgard raised Mairyn’s arm in the air and cheered himself. He then took Mairyn by the shoulders and kissed her on each cheek. Then he hugged her in a very fatherly way and kissed her on the forehead. They both laughed at his very deliberate actions. Petre came forward and slapped his uncle on the back and then grabbed Mairyn and gave her a great big hug. There were more cheers from the crowd. Wulfgard held up his hands to the crowd. It took him a while to calm the people down. They were catcalling and whistling and yelling cheers. Mairyn was amazed at their happiness for her and well pleased by their reaction. They finally stopped their good wishes.

“In two days time,” said Wulfgard, “I will host a celebration in Mairyn’s honor and the entire town will of course be invited.”

Now there were more cheers than before. Mairyn felt completely different from what she had felt earlier in the day. She was excited and happy and wide awake. She barely felt her injuries. Petre took one arm and Wulfgard took the other and they both helped her down from the stage. They walked home in silence followed by the people of Wulfhalle who also remained quiet. They were not a solemn procession but a well satisfied group.

They reached the hall and everyone went to their duties. It was an exciting day, but certain things still needed to be done. Wulfgard, Petre and Mairyn entered the hall and Wulfgard directed them to the main table. The three of them sat down and Wulfgard had apple mead, cheese and bread and butter brought to them. Again, Wulfgard had Mairyn sit in his chair. He knew that now that the excitement was over, she would begin to feel her injures again and her weariness would return. He didn’t want her falling off of her chair while they spoke of certain things. He felt there were things she should be told right away so she would know her place in the world. Their food and drink arrived and then they were alone.

Before he could begin telling her what he wanted her to know, Mairyn began speaking. She was stammering in her haste to thank him.

“Wulfgard, I am so honored that you have done this for me. It is something I never would have thought possible and I certainly never sought it but I am so honored and I can’t believe you have done such a thing but I can’t understand why and what will Gideon say on the matter and I just don’t know why you have done it but I can’t begin to tell you how honored I am.” Petre stuck a piece of bread in Mairyn’s mouth. She nearly choked on it. She tried to berate him for interrupting her but he was laughing and so was Wulfgard.

“If you will allow me to speak first as a good daughter should allow her father instead of blathering on about your gratitude, I will be happy to explain things to you.” Wulfgard and Petre were laughing at her again. She turned pink in the cheeks and then joined in their laughter.

“First of all, I accept your thanks, but I will hear no more of them. I have done this for very selfish reasons and your happiness and pleasure are only side benefits of this deed.” Wulfgard smiled at her again. She understood. She was not to fawn over him and express her gratitude continuously. He did not want it.

“I see you understand me.” He handed Mairyn a cup of mead and a slice of bread, buttered and with a thin slice of sharp cheese on it. “Eat and drink. You will begin to feel the day’s effects very soon and you will need your energy to get to your room.” They all ate and drank in silence for a few minutes. Mairyn found she was very hungry and thirsty. She thought about how the extra food she had been getting lately made her feel hungrier. Before she never thought about food because she didn’t get much of it. She chewed her bread and cheese slowly, savoring the flavor of the sharp cheese and soft, sweet bread. The mead was making her a little woozy, so she just sipped at it. Her body was beginning to ache, but she didn’t want the mead to dull her wits.

“May I have some milk, Wulfgard?” She asked shyly, not looking at him in case he said no. She was not used to making requests. She had when she was younger but found that no matter what she had asked for, Madame Gertrude had always told her no. So she stopped asking for things. She expected the same treatment from Wulfgard, but hoped it would be different.

“You may certainly have some milk.” He hollered to someone in the kitchen. They came out and he told them to bring a pitcher of milk for Mairyn. They ran off to do his bidding. “Always ask when you want something. I will not guarantee to always grant your wish if I think what you want is bad for you but I will try to give you what you want.” He smiled at her. “But now you must give me what I want.” Mairyn held her breath. She knew everything had its price. Madame Gertrude had taught her that and now here was going to be her payment to Wulfgard. She waited to hear what he wanted and she was afraid. He saw the look in her eyes and he was hurt.

“Ah my poor damaged child. Do not look so stricken. I do not think my request will over tax you. I simply wish to call you daughter and have you call me father.” Wulfgard looked at her shyly. She could see his vulnerability clearly in his eyes. She could see that here was a truly good man. She vowed never to doubt him again.

“Father, I would be happy to grant your requests. You honor me greatly.” She bowed her head and he kissed the top of her head.

“Daughter, you make me very happy.” Mairyn’s milk jug arrived with a new cup. Wulfgard filled her cup and handed it to her.

“I propose a toast,” said Wulfgard. “To my new daughter who brings me joy and to my old nephew who makes me proud.” Wulfgard clinked cups with Mairyn and Petre and they all drank. Petre was a bit speechless to receive his uncle’s praise for what seemed to him no good reason, but he would take what he could get.

“Father, while I am grateful…”

Wulfgard interrupted Mairyn.

“I told you, I will accept no more of your gratitude.” He looked at her sternly then began to laugh. He felt downright giddy with happiness that he actually giggled, in a manly sort of way.

“I am sorry, Father.” Mairyn laughed too. Petre just shook his head at his uncle’s unaccustomed silliness. He could see that for some reason, making Mairyn his daughter had brought him a great deal of happiness.

“Father, why have you made me your daughter and done all of these other wonderful things for me?” Mairyn got this all out a little breathlessly. While Wulfgard was certainly being kind to her, she wasn’t sure if asking this particular question was acceptable.

“Ah, I am glad and afraid that you have asked be this question. I am glad because you asked it first and it is an important question. Why is always the most important question. When you know why, everything else is easy to figure out. But I am afraid of this question too because it is very important and very few people will know anything about the answer. But I want you both to know the answer to this question for your own peace of mind.” Wulfgard took a few sips of mead, looking off into some unknown distance of time and place. He was quiet for a very long time and Mairyn and Petre waited for him to speak. Finally, Petre touched him lightly on his shoulder to bring him out of his reverie. Wulfgard was startled.

“You do not need to speak of it Father if it is private or painful. I do not need to know so badly. I was only curious.” Mairyn looked at him with soft and concerned eyes. Wulfgard shook his head, negating his own thoughts and Mairyn’s words.

“No. I will tell you. I was merely remembering. There are very personal memories and some of them are very painful but most of them are wonderful. Beyond wonderful. Most were so good that I will never be able to recreate them with anyone else.”

“But then why me?” Mairyn was truly puzzled.

“I will explain.” Wulfgard put down his drinking horn. He pushed his stool back so he could look at both Mairyn and Petre at the same time.

1 comment:

Hobbes said...

We want to know, too.